Welcome to Christ Chapel!
Christ Chapel is a campus ministry for all students, faculty, and staff at Texas State and for members of the community willing to engage with students in their faith journey. We welcome all people regardless of their religious affiliation, race, ability, or age, and we are unequivocal in our welcome to people of all sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions.
Christ Chapel is a reconciling community on a journey of discovery, learning what it means to be fully human in the face of great challenges and opportunities.
Christ Chapel is a place of hospitality where people are invited to ask questions, to make friends, and to create a home for themselves at Texas State.
Christ Chapel is an expression of God's love and grace, working to bring healing and wholeness to all people.
Christ Chapel is supported by Lutherans, Episcopalians, and other friends of the ministry.
ServiceWe do service in San Marcos and other communities throughout the year:
• We serve lunch to approximately 100 students every Monday.
• We cook and serve a meal to the homeless at Southside Community Center once a month.
• We do a beach clean-up every spring.
• We participate in the Hunger Bowl in the fall.
• In the past, we've helped restore Bastrop State Park, gutted houses in New Orleans, done flood clean-up in San Marcos, and made home repairs and built gardens for the elderly.
WorshipWe use a variety of worship styles, both traditional and contemporary, formal and informal:
• Holy Communion
• Evening Prayer
• Noonday Prayer
• Healing Services
• Taizé-style Services
Our resources include the Lutheran Book of Worship, the Book of Common Prayer, the New Zealand Prayer Book, and music from Taizé.
CommunityOur community life includes
• road trips (favorite destinations: the Snake Farm, Enchanted Rock, Canyon Gorge)
• game nights
• God Goes to the Movies (movie and discussion).
RetreatsWe hold two retreats a year, a fall retreat at Wellspring Retreat Center (Wessendorff Ranch) and a spring event at University Camp.
Coffee HouseStudents can enjoy free coffee at Christ Chapel's in-house coffee shop every weekday beginning at 8 a.m. It's a great place to study or just hang out.
What We Do
• Worship • Study
• Service • Community Building
Holy Communion 5:30 p.m. Sundays
Evening Prayer 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays (during Fall & Spring semesters)